Monday, June 1, 2015

My thoughts on being late...

I'm sure you've all read the article by now entitled "No, you're not 'running late', you're rude and selfish." (If you haven't, here it is: http://vitamintalent.com/vitabites/no-you-are-not-running-late-you-are-rude-and-selfish) I've had several friends share the article on facebook, and it makes me cringe every time.

Ouch. I've read it several times and here's the deal. I want to be on time. I really do, but sometimes a kid poops right as we are walking out the door. Sometimes my 3 year old takes a hour to eat breakfast and no matter how many times I tell him "we are going to be late", he doesn't speed up. I have planned and planned our mornings--laid out clothes, packed lunch the night before, prepared breakfast so it just has be heated up--and guess what? We are still late sometimes.
Then there are the days I don't get anything ready the night before and we are 15 minutes early to our destination.

Here's what I've discovered--sometimes you just can't plan life, especially with a 19 month old and a 3 1/2 year old. If my son asks me to play in his room with him and we are running behind, guess what? I still go play with him. I want my family to know that I value them. Outside of my relationship with Jesus, my family is the most important thing to me. So am I being selfish and rude when I let my 3 year old take all the time he wants to eat breakfast? Maybe to you, but for me, that's my life right now.


I'm rarely super late, but yes, sometimes I'm 5, 10, or even 15 minutes late. Thankfully my friends extend grace when I'm running behind. If they were like the article's writer, I'm afraid I'd be without friends.
So today, I'd like to say thank you to my friends that have stuck by my side, even when I'm late.
 

Beginning this month, I'm participating in a blog circle with some amazing and beautiful women. Click here and see what Lori has to say this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment